Thoughts on moving into People Management

Mid December in 2021 marked six months since I moved from an Individual Contributor role of coordinating Infosec (although mainly electronic rather than paper based data related) Incident Response for my employer, to managing my former peers in the squad I'd been a part of for the prior two years.

Since I'd had a 22 year career prior to my arrival in Cybersecurity, I'd had a long time to reflect upon what styles of management I would like to model, especially since I've experienced different styles of management as a practitioner. Generally speaking, the Golden Rule - treating others as I wish to be treated - resonates with me strongest. Being trusted, respected, and given constructive, timely feedback. Allowed to voice my views freely and perceived as a multi faceted individual rather than fitting into some mold of what someone in my role is supposed to be like, or limited by what I've already demonstrated rather than having my potential nurtured. I also hope that I've successfully been conveying that I appreciate everyone that I am in a position to help.

While I knew that my multi-tasking and time management skills would be put to the test, I have still been surprised by how random and varied the one-off sorts of requests and situations seem to be. Having to also consume quite a lot of guidance and learn a new to me set of tools has also taken up my attention when I would rather be focused on other matters. I see my most valuable powers to be more in identifying and removing blockers for my people, and for the newcomers, moving first from a training role (as I have recent and direct experience with their daily work) into a coaching role as they become seasoned team members.

In my recruitment efforts to find two additional Incident Responders, I struggled to find candidates who I saw potential in when they lacked direct experience, and when they did, their temperaments clearly pointed to a strong preference to be forensic investigators and analysts. This may warrant a separate post later.

At times, I've noticed that the term leader and manager are being used interchangeably as I have done above. In one separate area at my employer's managers are called "career coaches" which I find to be a topic worth teasing out in its own post eventually. Historically, I have perceived leaders to be challenged with inspiring everyone and building up their intrinsic motivation, by holistically grasping a team's existing strengths, helping the organization overall to explore its potential, and being exemplary. Managers, on the other hand, are required to devote time to addressing logistical issues and make fine detail decisions at the individual level. They also have the power to extrinsically motivate their team members fiscally.

I have always made a distinct effort to care about and help out my colleagues (one of the 9 practices my employer extols is "show personal interest") - but now, it is a core aspect to this role. My strong introversion has always lent itself to my faring better in 1:1 rather than group based interactions, so that aspect of my regular activities is even more enjoyable than I anticipated. 

The road to my becoming a manager is not just my own to tell, but I intend to impart it sometime as it was quite dramatic.

For my holiday reading, I plan on exploring the topics of coaching and leadership through a few books I've purchased in digital format. Hopefully I will be able to resume posting here whenever an extended break permits.

To all reading this, I wish a restorative and joyous holiday season, and an energized, healthy start to the New Year!


Comments

All time popular posts

Is larger (PPC) better? Size matters, but... the #G+ strategy

「ほとんど日本人と異ならないですね」

Google+ increasing its reach